GCBA’s 16-week Certificate of Body Art Course is the only qualification of its kind in the industry. Taught by multi-award winning body artist and owner of Sydney’s leading body painting agency, Julie Tattam, this comprehensive, highly practical course covers everything you need to know to be a successful body artist.
We also offer Private Classes in body painting for students or groups who would prefer a custom course.
Certificate of Body Art
- Duration: 16 weeks (80 hours of classes plus weekly assignments)
- Structure: Part time (one class per week, a mix of evenings and Saturdays, see timetable)
- Instructor: Julie Tattam
- Location: Grays Point Studio – see College Location for more details
- Class Size: 10 students only
- Cost: $5,000 plus GST
This course is not for the faint hearted. It will stretch your creativity to the ends of its capacity, and then break through into a whole area of artistic ability you never knew you had. Your technique will be honed to perfection. You will know exactly how to tackle the “big jobs” and you will be well on your way to becoming a successful professional bodypainter.
Practical and Hands-On
During the course we supply live models for you to paint on, and practical sessions form a big part of the program. There’s no substitute for the real thing, so while we ensure you receive a wealth of theory and industry knowledge, we work side by side with you to hone all of your practical skills and techniques.
This course offers far more than just knowledge and technique. We know that these days becoming a successful artist takes more than just lots of skill and talent – it takes exposure, opportunity, media attention and connections. Therefore, in addition to our intense, comprehensive training, we give our students incredible career opportunities which are unavailable anywhere else. As part of the course, all our students will:
- Paint in a live bodypainting show at a major event in Sydney
- Receive a portfolio of images of their work taken throughout the course by a professional photographer
- Receive a video showreel from their live bodypainting show, produced by a professional filmmaker
- Have the opportunity to assist on a high-profile Skincognito Bodypainting job, such as a music video, ad campaign or media shoot.
- Be qualified to work within the Skincognito Bodypainting agency. Skincognito do not employ any artists who have not completed this course (except under exceptional circumstances).
Here is an overview of what will be covered in the course. In addition to the class topics, each week a homework assignment will be completed, which will allow our students to hone their design skills, pitching and proposal skills and their artistic techniques.
- Introduction, tools, techniques, products, models, industry overview
- Design, composition, taking a brief, idea generation, timing
- Pricing, pitching, clients, contracts – Application, blending, shading, texture
- Beginners and Advanced Airbrushing
- Corporate bodypainting, lettering, stencilmaking
- Special effects and prosthetics
- Camouflage bodypainting
- UV/Blacklight bodypainting
- Fine Art bodypainting
- Competition bodypainting
- Final presentation and live bodypainting show
For our 2018 course dates, please contact us.
Class Sizes are Limited
Places are extremely limited. We limit our class size to 10 students per semester, as we want to give those students our utmost attention and one-to-one mentorship. Book now. As soon as semester one places are filled, we will start a waitlist for future semesters.
To enquire further about this course, please contact us and we would be delighted to chat through any questions you may have
Terms and Conditions:
Attendance and Missed Classes
In order to obtain your certificate, students must not miss any more than two classes per 16 week course. We are unable to offer makeup replacement classes for any classes missed during the course.
Cancellation prior to 30 days before the start date of your course (ie. prior to 30 days before the first class) will entitle you to a refund of any fees you have paid, but you will not be refunded your $2000 deposit. For cancellations after 30 days before the start date of your course (ie. within the last 30 days before the first class) you will not be refunded your $2000 deposit, plus you will be charged an additional $1000 cancellation fee.
A non-refundable deposit of $2000 is required to secure your spot in our Certificate of Body Art course. This deposit cannot be refunded or transferred if you change your mind about attending the course. The remainder must be paid 30 days before the start of your course. We also offer Payment Plans to assist students to make that investment.
This course is suitable for artists of all abilities. You do not need to have painted before, or be a makeup artist. Completion of our ‘Face Painting Day 1‘ class is a distinct advantage, but not a prerequisite.
Minimum age for this class is 16yrs. All models will be over 18yrs.
Our brand new state-of-the-art training facility and studio is located in Grays Point NSW (45mins south of the Sydney CBD). There is plenty of free parking and the college is 5 minutes by taxi from Gymea train station.
6 Mansion Point Road
Grays Point 2232 NSW Australia